Monday, May 17, 2010

Late night fruit crisp


As often happens, when the kids are in bed and it's getting later and later....I get hungry for dessert. I was really craving a fruit crisp last night and so I inventoried our fruit (fresh, frozen and canned) selection and offered the following selection to my husband: blueberry, rhubarb, peach, apple or cranberry (or any combination thereof). His answer was "anything but blueberry" so I began a search for an amazing apple cranberry quinoa crisp that I knew I had somewhere. It took me about as long to find the recipe as it did to make the dessert. But it was ALL worth it. Just as delicious as I remembered it!

***Apple Cranberry Quinoa Crisp***

Mix the following ingredients together and put in a glass baking dish:

2 large apples (I use whatever I have on hand, this time it was cameos) - cored and chopped into bite sized pieces (leave skin on)
1 cup frozen cranberries
1/4 cup sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1/2 teas cinnamon

In a separate bowl combine the following ingredients and then spoon over the fruit mixture:

1 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter or butter substitute, this time I used a little Earth Balance Spread, but mostly coconut oil - I definitely think that the coconut oil makes this crisp topping spectacular!)
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar, depending on your preference of how sweet you want it

Bake 350 for 45-50 minutes until the top is lightly browned.

5 comments:

  1. Yes! I'll post a recipe (tonight hopefully!) I don't think that crisps photograph well, but they are one of my FAVORITE desserts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I got ambitious and the recipe is up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quinoa flakes are awesome!! They are like a rolled oat (only thinner and, obviously, made of quinoa). They are usually in the hot cereal section of the store. They are a bit spendy, but a complete protein and make a really yummy topping on crisps, etc. They can also be made into hot cereal and are used in a lot of cookie recipes, although I haven't tried that application yet!

    ReplyDelete