Thursday, May 13, 2010

Coconut Milk-Brown Rice Pudding

This recipe is adapted from David Gabbe's cooking class recipe. David teaches a variety of vegan cooking classes in the Salem and Portland areas and I *highly* recommend him if anyone is interested!

Here's my take on his recipe:

Cook 3/4 brown rice (he recommends using more water than usual to result in a chewier, softer rice....he suggests 3 3/4 cups water - the resulting pudding from this is delicious!! Sometimes I just use leftover rice that I have on hand though)

Add:
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup finely chopped dates
2 teas vanilla extract

Stir and cook until heated. Simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes.

Then, mix 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or could use any other thickening agent) with 2 tablespoons COLD water. Slowly stir this mixture into the rice pudding and stir constantly until it is thickened. (usually takes about a minute or so)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. Are the dates necessary? No one in my family likes dates except for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say be careful with your thickening agent and make sure that it is mixed/dissolved well in the water---I didn't and got some scary clumps. No one seemed to mind but me though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - The dates are not necessary at all. They just add some fruit and sweetener to it....you can also sub dried apricots or figs (or any other dried fruit you want) or increase the sweetener a bit....or just omit it all together. Pretty flexible!

    Megan and Taylor - uh....yeah, you have to be sure it's thoroughly dissolved. I think he said otherwise you get "fish eggs" - blech! ;)

    ReplyDelete